Skip to main content

Vintage letters

Vintage letters are treasures for me. The art of writing letters was in practise since 300 A.D. After 16th century writing letters became an art. Letters were not just used for communication but it became an art also.
The design of the letter took a uniform design when the British came to India and started ruling over.
Even to this day in some villages of India, the post man or the teachers of the school should open the letter and read it.
Today,some vintage letters are preserved in the families, in the Government offices, Parliaments and the collectors who fancy collecting vintage letters. I have preserved letters from Great grandfather and my GrandFather.  I feel that these vintage letters are some sort of treasure that I have. Funniest part is, it takes a long time to come to the matter itself because the starting two- three sentences is to be polite enquiries and whereabouts of each other and ending the letter used to be with elegant words. I will post some pictures of the vintage letters I have and write about it soon.

Jahnavi
Participating in A to Z challenge

Comments

  1. What an interesting post, Jahnavi and how wonderful that you have letters written by your grandfather and great-grandfather - surely these are letters to treasure and pass on to the next generation!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I can pass it on to the next generation

      Delete
  2. I am impressed you have vintage letters like that. On an Antique Show on TV, they had an old letter written by a North American Indian - one chief to another - they too took a while to get to the meat of the subject - the letter was worth about $#,000. I didn't think writing went back so far.

    JO ON FOOD, LIFE AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes during Buddha and Mahaveera's time they communicated via letters written on palm leaves. In Egypt they used papyrus. I still have to read a lot about vintage letters and learn more :)

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating! I wish I had some letters from my past! ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had letters from loved ones, like my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
    หนังไทยตลก

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Esha manohari raga

Esha manohari raga is the janma raga of 28th melakartha hari kamboji. This is a sampoorna, vakra sampoorna janya raga. Apart from shadja and panchama, chatushruthi rishabha, antara gandhara, shuddha madhyama, chatushruthi daivatha and kaishiki nishada are the swara sthanas. The beauty of this raga is indescribable. The popular kritis in this raga are manasa Sri Rama chandruni by Thyagaraja, Sri gananatham bhajare by muthuswami dikshit, himagirisha manonmani by muthiah bhagawathar, shambho gangadhara by Gopala Krishna Bharathi.

X mudras by vaggeyakaras

There are no ragas from the letter x. So I'm going to share the names of the 12 mudras in carnatic classical music, composed by vaggeyakaras. 1. Vaggeyakara mudre 2. Raga mudre 3. Tala mudre 4. Acharya mudre 5. Raja mudre 6. Vamsha mudre 7. Prabhanda mudre 8. Nayaka mudre 9. Stala mudre 10. Birudu mudre 11. Lakshana Grantha mudre 12. Itare mudres

She - A woman

Image source: http://lilliemcferrin.com/five-sentence-fiction-isolated/ She began a new life with a family in the name of marriage. A family where women were considered men if they had given birth to a male child. She received the portent and tried to impress them but, the only way to impress them was to starve and become lame. "I was not born for this" she thought. She was isolated for the rest of her life for she was a woman. Jahnavi.K.J written for Lillie McFerrin's five sentence fiction .